Venue Terms and Conditions
Membership 020 7437 1864 Reservations: 020 7437 1894
- The name of the Club is The House of St Barnabas and is known as the Club at The House of St Barnabas (“the Club”).
- The Club is a proprietary private members’ club and the proprietor is The House of St Barnabas (“HoSB”), a charitable company limited by guarantee, company no. 06845128, whose registered office is at 1 Greek Street, Soho Square, London W1D 4NQ. The Objects of HoSB include the relief of the needs of persons in necessitous circumstances by various means, including the provision of training and support. In furtherance of these charitable objects HoSB is assisting such persons to become self-reliant, independent citizens by (among other things) providing training in the hospitality industry.
- The club was founded by HoSB and exists to promote and support the objects of HoSB including:
- To provide work experience for those affected by homelessness through its Employment Academy.
- To provide food and other amenities for people of who are interested in furthering the objectives of HoSB.
- To provide social events and private hire spaces.
- To use all profits from its activities towards funding and supporting the charitable activities of HoSB.
- It is a non-political space.
- A member shall be entitled to all of the benefits and privileges of membership, including access to the Club and use of all its amenities for business and social entertainment, in accordance with these rules and regulations.
- Any member may resign his/her membership by giving to the Membership Secretary notice in writing to that effect where upon he/she shall cease to be a member. No refund of membership fees will be given.
Membership Advisory Council
- The Membership Advisory Council consists of at least four people selected by HoSB. The council shall advise HoSB on all matters relating to member experience and member events.
- Every candidate for admission as a member shall be proposed by two members who shall vouch, from their personal knowledge, for the fitness of the candidate. If a second proposer cannot be supplied, a member of the HoSB membership team will meet with the applicant in order to progress the application process. The candidate must give the name of their proposer(s) on the membership application. The proposer(S) will be contacted directly by HoSB.
- Any member who is of the opinion that a new member is not suitable must inform the Membership Secretary in writing. Any such objection will be considered by HoSB.
- No candidate for membership who has not reached 18 years of age shall be eligible for membership.
- An applicant for membership is required to accept, (post Oct 2013 via the HoSB website), that they will abide by these rules and regulations on submission of their membership application.
- By entering the club on their first visit the members agrees to abide by these rules and regulations.
- No rejected candidate shall again be proposed as a member until the expiration of six months from the date of such rejection.
- No person who shall have been expelled from the Club shall ever again be proposed as a candidate or visit the Club premises unless the special consent of HoSB shall have been obtained in writing to his/her being so proposed or visiting the Club.
- No member may transfer their membership and on the death of a life member his/her Life Membership will cease.
Payment of Club Fees
- Membership subscriptions are via annual Direct Debit or BACS and are payable on an applicant being confirmed as a member and thereafter on the first day of the anniversary month of joining.
- The Club reserves the right to increase the fee at any time. The period of access is one year and will be from the date of joining.
- Any member or members who remove, damage or destroy any property belonging to HoSB or to members or to guests on the premises will be liable to expulsion.
- There shall be kept at such place or places as is designated by the Club a formal register of members of the Club. Any member who allows his/her card to be used by a non-member shall be suspended immediately from the Club and reported to HoSB.
- Each member shall inform the Membership Secretary of any change of address (including telephone and e-mail) and any notices required by these rules to be given to members shall be given by addressing it to a member (including fax and/or e-mail) that he or she has given to the Membership Secretary.
(Please see Appendix below – Regulations Governing Members)
- If any member shall be convicted of an indictable offence or adjudged bankrupt or make a composition or arrangement with his/her creditors under the provision of any statute his/her membership will be considered invalid.
- Any member shall, upon ceasing to be a member of the Club, forfeit all rights in respect of the Club.
- Any reference to member and these rules applies to corporate members.
- Should any individual as part of a corporate membership cease to be a member due to any discipline or behaviour that has caused the membership committee to expel them, no refund will be given. The corporate membership of which that member belonged could also be revoked and no refund given.
- Should a member infringe the rules of the Club or make him or herself obnoxious to another member or be considered guilty of misconduct he or she may be required to furnish an explanation and risk suspension or expulsion by HoSB.
- Conduct that is prejudicial to the reputation and character of the Club or HoSB may result in expulsion at the organisation’s absolute discretion. Such conduct may include, but not be limited to, violent or abusive behaviour, the communication of information concerning the Club affairs or members or their guests in the Club to the media and any other breach of these rules and regulations.
- Complaints of misconduct or misbehaviour should be made in writing to the Membership Secretary of HoSB and further evidence may be required in its investigation into the incident.
- An expelled member shall cease to be a member upon being formally expelled. He or she may not return to the club as a guest. There shall be no refund of such expelled member’s membership fee.
- All food and beverage will be supplied by HoSB.
- HoSB reserves the right to refuse any member or guest of a member admission to the Club with or without giving reason and at its absolute discretion. If HoSB considers that a member’s, or his or her guests’ conduct either inside or outside of the Club premises is, in its absolute discretion contrary to the interests of HoSB, HoSB may remove the member from the Club premises and/or suspend the member pending a final decision on continuing the membership.
- HoSB, its staff, and/or agents shall not be liable to any member or guest, for any loss, damage or injury suffered by them or their property howsoever caused save in respect of death or personal injury to a member or guest caused by the negligence of HoSB or its agents.
- The appointment and dismissal of all Club staff shall be vested solely in HoSB and its agents. Any member who shall interfere with such appointment or shall incite any club staff to leave the employment of the Club shall face disciplinary proceedings.
- In the event of any dispute arising as to the meaning or interpretation of these rules, the matter shall be referred to HoSB whose decision shall be final.
- HoSB may change the rules of the Club by displaying notification of the change at the premises and on the website www.hosb.org.uk for a period of 7 days.
- HoSB reserves the right to cancel membership at any time if circumstances beyond its reasonable control affect HoSB’s ability to make the premises available. In that case, HoSB shall have no liability to the member including refunding of any fees paid.
- HoSB is committed to ensuring that members’ information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure all the information we collect. We are familiar with and follow all relevant Data Protection legislation current from time to time and will only share your personal data with third parties with your written consent or if required to do so by law.
Regulations Governing Members Regulations
- Members are responsible for the behaviour of their guests.
- Members are required to treat all staff and other members and their guests with courtesy and consideration.
- Guide dogs are the only animals permitted in the Club.
- Children are permitted in the Club on Saturdays until 7pm if accompanied by an adult. They are not permitted on the premises Monday-Friday.
- Once the legal capacity is reached, members will be admitted on a one in one out basis.
- All members and their guests are required to settle their bill/account prior leaving the premises.
- All members and their guests are asked to keep noise to a minimum when arriving at or leaving the premises out of respect to local residents.
- Memberships are non-transferable and members are the sole user.
- Corporate membership cards may only be used by staff of the organisation.
- On rare occasions, the whole Club may be hired for members’ private events. The Club will advise all other members as early as possible on the website on which there will be a calendar with constantly updated information.
- Members may bring no more than three guests except by prior arrangement. Reception must be informed of the guests’ names. Upon arrival, members and guests must sign themselves in. Guests will not be allowed beyond reception if their name is not on the guest list.
- Dress Code: We do not have a dress code with the exception of no sporting shirts / colours and we ask for safety that flip flops are not worn.
- The Club holds discretion and privacy of members sacrosanct as a result, press photographers are not permitted as guests in the Club and no photography is allowed. The cloakroom staff will be happy to look after the equipment.
- The club and HoSB hold the privacy of its participants of the Employment Academy sacrosanct.
- The Club takes a zero-tolerance approach to drugs. Any member or guest caught using or supplying drugs on the premises will be asked to leave, their membership will be revoked, no refund given and the police will be notified.
- It is strongly recommended to check availability and reserve a table in advance to avoid disappointment.
- Reservations will be held for 15 minutes from the time of the booking. If you are delayed please contact us as early as possible.
- Reservations will be taken no later than 10pm.
- The Club strongly believes in not having a minimum spend for sitting at a table. Tables are available for all members, however the larger tables will have a minimum party size and guaranteed minimum spend in order to be reserved.
- Any specialist catering requirements must be requested when making the booking and at least 24 hours before the booking and HoSB and its catering partner will use reasonable endeavours to meet them.
- The use of mobiles telephones in the Club is only allowed in the Library Bar and the Garden and must be on silent at all times. All conversations must be kept to a low level and if asked by Club staff, members should be prepared to take the call external to the Club.
- No member shall give the address of the Club in any advertisement or use the Club address for any business purpose whatsoever.
- The days during which the Club shall be open for members are Monday to Saturday inclusive at such times as the Club in its discretion may decide. The Club may however by arrangement allow members to hold functions at the Club on such occasions the hours during which the Club shall be open to members may be varied.
- HoSB will have sole use of the club on two occasions a year in order to hold fundraising events to support the work of the charity. The Club will advise members as early as possible. Members will be given the opportunity to purchase tickets to these events if appropriate.
- The supply of intoxicating liquor will be permitted in the club during the general licensing hours for the district subject to any extension for the time being granted by the Licensing Justice.
- HoSB is a non-smoking establishment- smoking and vaping are not permitted, with the exception of within the private courtyard garden.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Relating to Room Hire
- “Contract” means the agreement between the Owner and the Hirer, which incorporates these terms and conditions and The Hire Agreement
“Event” means the event described in the Contract.
“Hire Agreement” means the letter setting out the agreed details of the Event
“Hirer” means the person, firm or company entering into the Contract with the Owner and if more than one, each shall be jointly and severally liable for the obligations of the Hirer under the Contract.
“Owner” means The House of St. Barnabas
“Premises” means those parts of the Owner’s property that are being hired;
The Contract comes into effect when the Owner receives a signed copy of the Hire Agreement signed by the Hirer.
- The Hirer must inform the Owner in writing at the time of booking of the purpose for which the Premises are required and the nature of the Hirer’s business, and the Owner reserves the right to refuse any booking in its absolute discretion.
- The Hirer shall not use the Premises other than for the purpose of use shown on the Hire Agreement and shall inform the Owner if the purpose of use stated on the Hire Agreement changes. If the purpose of use does change, the Owner has the right to terminate immediately on reasonable notice or to renegotiate the Contract.
- The maximum number of people attending the Event will be notified to the Owner by the Hirer at least 7 days prior to the Event and that number will not vary the number previously estimated by more than 10% without the prior written consent of the Owner. If the number of additional attendees is in excess of 10% then the Owner may in its sole discretion charge an additional hire fee or terminate the Contract immediately.
- The Hirer shall nominate an individual to be responsible for operation of the Event on behalf of the Hirer, who will liaise with the Owner or its agents whilst at the Premises.
- The Hirer shall follow any instructions given by the Owner regarding health and safety issues or any other applicable legal or regulatory matters at the Premises.
- The Hirer will be held responsible for any damage caused by the Hirer (or its guests, employees, agents or subcontractors) to the Premises (or any part thereof) or its equipment or fittings during the period of hire. The Hirer shall be liable to pay the Owner the costs or expenses for any such damage as specified by the Owner in its reasonable discretion.
- The Hirer is responsible for maintaining good order at all times and should undertake adequate supervision of their agents, employees or guests at all times during the hire period.
- The Hirer will not do anything in or about the Premises that is likely to, or that actually does break any applicable laws or statutory requirements.
- The Hirer will not do anything to damage the reputation of The House of St Barnabas, the Owner or the Premises.
- The Hirer shall carry adequate insurance to cover any liabilities incurred by the Hirer or its guests, employees, agents or subcontractors in connection with the hire or persons attending the premises at the Hirer’s request. The Hirer shall provide written proof of such insurance coverage no later than four weeks before commencement of the Hire (unless otherwise agreed).
- The Hirer will indemnify and keep indemnified the Owner against actions, proceedings, costs, claims and demands which may be brought or made against the Owner in respect of personal injury and/or damage to property arising directly or indirectly out of the activities of the Hirer or its agents, employees or guests in connection with their hire of the Premises.
- The Hirer will leave the premises in a reasonable, clean and tidy condition. Charges will be made for any extra costs incurred.
- The Hirer agrees, upon request and where possible to provide the Owner with a number of visual images/photographs that the Owner can use for the promotion of its hireable spaces.
- The Hirer must provide or organise with the Owner, security at the Premises’ entrances on Greek Street and/or Manette Street whenever these entrances are open for deliveries.
- During the Event the Owner will provide security for the duration of the Event at such times as specified in the Hire Agreement. Any security required outside of these hours will be at the cost to the Hirer. At no such time can the Hirer bring in an external security company unless agreed otherwise in writing with the Owner.
- The Hirer must provide a ground plan outlining the positioning of any equipment brought into the hired spaces. An outline of any electrical installation or rigging arrangement should be provided prior to the Event. A method statement and appropriate risk assessments will back up the installation. All documentation including without limitation evidence of successful PAT tests on all equipment being used at event by the Hirer, must be provided to The Owner four weeks prior to the Event for approval.
- A detailed production schedule, vehicle schedule and contact sheet for the Event must be provided to the Owner no later the two weeks prior to the Hire Period for the Owner’s approval.
- The Hirer shall ensure that any contractors, staff and/or suppliers are clearly identifiable at all times. It is the Hirer’s responsibility to ensure that they are greeted and authorised for entry to the site.
- The Hirer shall be responsible for authorising guest entry to the Event.
- The Hirer must adhere to the capacity restrictions of each hired space, and if at any time these restrictions are exceeded the Owner reserves the absolute right to refuse entry to the House.
- Full venue: 325
Monro Room: 50 standing
Garden Room: 50 standing
Chapel: 75 standing
Library room: 35 standing
Dickens Room: 30 standing
Soho Room: 50 standing
Drawing Room: 60 standing
Silk Room: 30 standing
Bazalgette Room: 40 standing
- The facilities to be provided by the Owner include the Premises with access to cloakroom and washroom facilities.
- Audio-visual and other equipment requested by the Hirer will be provided by the Hirer unless otherwise agreed in the Hire Agreement. All such equipment and installation works shall be subject to the prior approval of the Owner. All equipment brought into the Premises shall require the prior written consent of the Owner and will be entirely at the Hirer’s risk. All equipment of the Hirer must be removed promptly at the end of the Event.
- The Owner will not be responsible for any stolen or damaged equipment or goods belonging to the Hirer, or its agents, employees, subcontractors or guests. Such items or goods will be left at the Hirer’s sole risk this is inclusive of any cloakroom operation.
- The Owner maintains all rights of control over sound levels of the Hirer. Any use involving live or recorded music must be clearly outlined In advance in the Hire Agreement. In general (but without limitations) all music must cease by 11.30pm Monday – Thursday and 12.00am Friday and Saturday unless otherwise agreed in writing.
- Included in venue hire: The Rooms as per the Hire Agreement, a designated Event Planner, AV equipment if requested, background music (if applicable), use of cloakroom facilities, security for the duration of your Event times as per the Hire Agreement public.
- Not included in venue hire: All food and Beverage.
- Event overrun will be charged at £100 per half-hour. This charge is applied from the first minute the Hirer goes over their agreed event times. The Owner reserves the right to refuse Event overrun if the hired room is required by the Owner.
- The Owner reserves the right to make any changes to the Premises and the operation thereof without notice. This includes redecoration, building improvements, fixtures & fittings, art, furnishings and any internal operations for the running of the Premises. In which case the Owner will have no liability to the Hirer.
- Included in the venue hire is a general event pre-clean and post-clean, however all rooms must be left in the same condition as found or the Hirer will be liable for any additional cleaning charges.
- If the event is for a period longer than 24hours post-event cleaning is not included and will be an additional cost to the client.
- Catering will be provided by our food and beverage partners.
- In the event of a cancellation by the Hirer up to one month before the hire date: the Hirer shall be liable to a cancellation fee of 50% of the total amount due under the Hire Agreement. In the event of a cancellation less than one month and more than 14 days before the hire date the Hirer shall be liable to a cancellation fee of 80% of the total amount due as shown on the Hire Agreement. For cancellations within 14 days of the hire date the total amount due as shown is payable
- The Owner may cancel the Contract if:
- The Hirer fails to make any payment on a due date; or
- The Hirer commits any other breach of the terms of the Contract; or
- Any action of the Hirer is deemed to be unacceptable by the Owner whether in relation to the nature of the Event, health and safety, compliance with applicable local or governmental authority regulations, advertising or otherwise. In any of the above circumstances, the Hirer forfeits any deposit paid.
- The Owner reserves the right to cancel the Event at any time if circumstances beyond its reasonable control affect the Owner’s ability to make the Premises available. In that case, the Owner shall have no liability to the Hirer except to refund any payment received prior to the Event, after deducting all expenditure reasonably incurred by the Owner in relation to the Event.
- The Contract is subject to any necessary licensing, planning or other consents being available for the use of the Premises for the Event. The Owner will use its reasonable endeavours to obtain such consents, but if any such consent is not forthcoming, or is withdrawn for any reason, the Owner will be entitled to cancel the Contract (and will notify the Hirer as soon as practicable).
- PAYMENT & CHARGES
- The Hirer will be responsible for:
- The charges specified in the Hire Agreement and detailed on any and all invoices pertaining to the event.
- The Hirer agrees that any other costs incurred by the Owner in relation to the Event will be reimbursed to the Owner within 10 days upon the Hirer’s receipt of the relevant invoice.
- The Owner reserves the right to charge the Hirer at its usual rates for the use of the Premises if the use continues after the time at which the Event is due to end.
- If a minimum spend applies to your event, the agreed amount must either be paid in full 14 days prior to the event, or guaranteed by a credit or debit card at the Venue’s discretion. Any shortfall must be settled in full by card payment at the end of the event. The final number of guests as stated upon confirmation by the Client 14 days prior to the event will be considered the guaranteed minimum and will be charged for.
- Should the number of guests decrease after confirmation; no refund will be provided. Should the final number increase, extra guests will be charged for accordingly on a pro-rated per head basis. If the number increases within 7 days of the event the extra guests will be charged for accordingly on a pro-rated per head basis and are subject to a 15% late surcharge fee. The venue should be given a suitable ‘warning period’ in order to cater for any extra guests.
RULES OF CONDUCT
- The Hirer shall ensure that the Hirer and its guests do not cause any nuisance to the Owner or any third parties at the Premises, nor will the Hirer permit any unlawful activities on the Premises
- There shall be no deliveries, loading or unloading of vehicles between 23.30pm and 7.30am. No external work is to be carried out between 23.30pm and 7.30am. Any internal work undertaken between 23.30pm and 07.30am shall not be audible from outside the building nor cause any form of disruption that can be observed or noted externally unless prior written notice given and agreed by The Owner.
- The House of St Barnabas including its external areas operates a No Smoking and Vaping Policy. The Owner agrees to waiver this policy in connection with the Courtyard Garden.
- No fixings shall be made to any walls, floors or other building aspect with the hired areas unless agreed in writing with The Owner.
- The Hirer shall ensure that no breach of any byelaws, statutory requirements or health and safety regulations is committed by the Hirer or any of its guests.
- The Hirer shall ensure that all rules of conduct with respect to the Premises, and which are supplied to the Hirer by the Owner, are strictly adhered to.
WARRANTIES & INDEMNITY
- The Hirer shall be liable for and shall indemnify the Owner against any loss or damage incurred by the Owner as a result of any act or omission or breach of the Contract by the Hirer or by any of its employees, guests, agents, subcontractors or any other third party for which it is responsible.
- The Hirer hereby warrants to the Owner that all information provided by it to the Owner will be accurate and that it is entitled to provide the same to the Owner for its use without infringing the rights of any third parties. The Hirer hereby agrees to fully indemnify the Owner against any loss and all claims of any nature arising as a result of a breach of this warranty.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY/INSURANCE
- The Owner’s maximum aggregate liability under or in connection with this Agreement shall not exceed the Owner’s fee payable and paid thus far in respect of the act or omission giving rise to the liability.
- The Owner shall not be liable under this Agreement for any loss of income or profits, or for any indirect or consequential loss or damage of any kind howsoever arising.
- Nothing in this Agreement shall exclude or in any way limit the Owner’s liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence or any other liability to the extent that the same may not be excluded or limited as a matter of law.
- This Agreement sets forth the full extent of the Owner’s obligations and liabilities in respect of the Event. In particular, there are no conditions, warranties, representations or other terms, express or implied that are binding upon the Owner except as specifically stated in this Agreement.
- The Owner has the following insurance policies in place with respect to this Agreement. The Hirer should have equivalent cover in respect to the below
- £5,000,000 public/product liability cover.
- £10,000,000 employer’s liability cover.
- £50,000 hired equipment cover.
- £500,000 professional indemnity cover.
- The Contract is personal to the Hirer and may not be assigned or sublet without the prior written consent of the Owner.
- The failure of either party to enforce any term of or right arising pursuant to this Agreement does not constitute a waiver of such term or right and shall in no way affect that party’s right later to enforce or exercise the term or right.
- The invalidity or unenforceability of any term of or right arising pursuant to this Agreement shall not adversely affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining terms and rights.
- This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement and understanding between the parties with respect to its subject matter and supersedes any prior agreement, understanding or arrangement between the parties, whether oral or in writing, with respect to the same.
- A party who is not a party to this Agreement has no rights under the Contract (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 to enforce any term of this Agreement but this does not affect any right or remedy of a third party which exists or is available apart from this Act.
- Every notice shall be in writing and sent either by facsimile or by prepaid first class letter to the other party at the address of that party shown in the Contract.
- The Contract is governed by English law and the parties submit to the jurisdiction of the English court.
- HoSB may change the terms and conditions of private hire by displaying notification of the change at the premises and on the website www.hosb.org.uk for a period of 7 days.
- HoSB will not serve a person if said person is drunk or they are purchasing for someone they consider drunk.
If it is an exclusive private hire event & the hirer wishes to bring children on site this must be discussed with HoSB at time of booking and will be discussed at the time.
Please note, as we are a Grade I listed building you will be asked to sign a disclaimer regarding the safety of children on site prior to your event should an agreement be reached.
- Over 18s cannot purchase for under 18s
- Under 18s cannot purchase/consume alcohol
- Accompanied under 16s can attend events/weddings BUT cannot purchase OR consume alcohol
- It’s an offence for a member of staff to knowingly allow a child to consume alcohol
- 17 year olds are allowed to drink, beer, wine or cider with a table meal, provided purchased by an adult who accompanies the young person
- Soft drinks must be available at all events